The industrial way of making soap uses several chemicals, dyes, and fragrances that can cause irritation and allergic reactions in different people. Indeed, some industrially made soap is made of dubious compounds that are also used in herbicides and pesticides. What you may not be aware of is that toxins can seep through the skin and accumulate in your body with long-term damaging effects.
Handmade organic soap is fairly easy to make as most of the ingredients required are readily available nowadays. Basically, the formula for making a soap involves bringing together an alkali (lye is commonly used), and fats. For organic soap, natural oils like coconut oil are preferred.
What you will need
· A source of fats - You could use coconut oil, Shea butter, cocoa butter, avocado oil, castor oil, mango butter, or goat’s milk.
· Lye (sodium hydroxide) – The crystal form is best for domestic handling
· Glass jars and bowls or plastic cups
· Wooden spoon
· Metal spoon
· Protective gear including gloves and eyewear
· Digital scale
· Soap molds to give shape to your soap
· White vinegar – This comes in handy to neutralize the lye when it spills'
These are the ingredients that that give scent, color and texture to your soap.
· Scent additives – Essential oils like lavender, rose oil or spearmint
· Color additives – Use natural color sources like turmeric, ground coffee or cocoa
· Texture additives – Freshly ground coffee and ground dried herbs are also good for giving texture to the soap
Methods of making
There are 3 main methods to hand make soap:
- · Melt and pour – This method uses melt and pour kits to give your soap shape
- · Hot process – Heat is used to make saponification more effective
- · Cold Press- Produces the highest quality soap but takes a little bit longer
Benefits of organic soap
- · Non-toxic - By using natural ingredients only, you ensure that no toxins will be in the soap that can get in through the skin
- · Glycerin – This byproduct of the soap making process is very good for the skin. In handmade soap, it is retained in the soap while in commercial soaps it is skimmed off.
- · Custom made – You can make the soap in whatever shape, color and scent you prefer. You can play around with the formula to get the perfect product
- · Non-allergic – If you have sensitive skin, organic handmade soap will be the perfect skin care product for you. It is possible to work by elimination method to get suitable that is right for your skin.